Rate this file (Rating : 5 / 5 with 1 votes)
Smiling lighthouse, Lindau, Germany

Smiling Lighthouse, Lindau, Germany

Lighthouses are used to mark dangerous coastlines, hazardous shoals and reefs, and safe entries to harbors, and can also assist in aerial navigation. Once widely used, the number of operational lighthouses has declined due to the expense of maintenance and replacement by modern electronic navigational aids.
Lighthouse technology
In a lighthouse, the source of light is called the "lamp" (whether electric or fueled by oil) and the concentration of the light is by the "lens" or "optic". Originally lit by open fires and later candles, the Argand hollow wick lamp and parabolic reflector was developed around 1781 in Europe. In the US, whale oil was used with solid wicks as the source of light, until the Argand parabolic reflector system was introduced around 1810 by Winslow Lewis. Colza oil replaced whale oil in the early 1850s, but US farmers' lack of interest in growing this caused the service to switch to lard oil in the mid 1850s. Kerosene started replacing lard oil in the 1870s and the service was finally totally converted by the late 1880s. Electricity and carbide (acetylene gas) started to replace kerosene around the turn of the 20th century. The use of the latter was promoted by the Dalén light, which automatically lit the lamp at nightfall and extinguished it at dawn.

File information
Filename:304642.jpg
Album name:World & Travel
Rating (1 votes):55555
Keywords:#smiling #lighthouse #lindau #germany
Filesize:28 KiB
Date added:Aug 10, 2010
Dimensions:700 x 466 pixels
Displayed:26 times
URL:displayimage.php?pid=304642
Favorites:Add to Favorites