Rate this file (Rating : 5 / 5 with 1 votes)
Frozen lighthouse, St. Joseph North Pier, Lake Michigan, North America

Frozen Lighthouse, St. Joseph North Pier, Lake Michigan, North America

• 1907-1955
After the War Department had extended the north pier, the range lights and steam whistle were relocated 1,000 feet lakeward in 1904. The present set of range lights on the north pier was constructed in 1907. The front tower consists of steel framing covered with metal sheets and tapers from a diameter of eight feet, three inches at its base to seven feet, three inches at its nine-sided lantern room. The tower was originally equipped with a fifth-order Barbier and Benard lens the produced a fixed red light.
The rear tower consists of a twenty-four-foot-square steel structure whose pyramidal roof is surmounted by an octagonal tower and circular lantern room with helical bars. A fourth-order lens manufactured by Chance Brothers was used to produce a fixed red light. The pier’s original ten-inch steam whistle, constructed by J. P. McGuire of Cleveland, Ohio, was transferred to the lower portion of the new structure. A diaphone fog signal was installed in the rear tower in 1933.
A Lighthouse Depot for the ninth district of the United States Lighthouse Service was built alongside the river in 1893. After a depot was built in Milwaukee, the one at St. Joseph became less important and was transferred to the Navy in 1918.

File information
Filename:596796.jpg
Album name:World & Travel
Rating (1 votes):55555
Keywords:#frozen #lighthouse #st #joseph #north #pier #lake #michigan #america
Filesize:32 KiB
Date added:Nov 28, 2013
Dimensions:700 x 464 pixels
Displayed:144 times
URL:displayimage.php?pid=596796
Favorites:Add to Favorites