Rate this file (Rating : 5 / 5 with 1 votes)
Lavenham village, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom

Lavenham Village, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom

The village formerly had a railway station on the Long Melford-Bury St Edmunds branch line, which was opened on 9 August 1865. There were plans for the Hadleigh branch line to be extended to Lavenham, though these never came to fruition. The line was an important freight route during World War II and was guarded by numerous Type 22 pillboxes, most of which are still visible in the surrounding farmland. The station was closed to passengers on 10 April 1961 as part of the Beeching Axe, with a freight service surviving until April 1965. Today the disused line is used as a public footpath and is a designated nature reserve.
Education
The village is served by Lavenham County Primary School, which currently caters for pupils aged 5–9. The school feeds into Stoke-by-Nayland Middle School and Great Cornard Upper School.

File information
Filename:664737.jpg
Album name:World & Travel
Rating (1 votes):55555
Keywords:#lavenham #village #suffolk #england #united #kingdom
Filesize:272 KiB
Date added:Jan 29, 2015
Dimensions:700 x 469 pixels
Displayed:45 times
URL:displayimage.php?pid=664737
Favorites:Add to Favorites