Rate this file (Rating : 5 / 5 with 1 votes)
Lavenham village, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom

Lavenham Village, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom

Lavenham is located on the A1141, the main road between Hadleigh and Bury St Edmunds. HGV traffic has been an issue for the village's narrow streets.
The village formerly had a railway station on the Long Melford-Bury St Edmunds branch line, which was opened on 9 August 1865. There were plans for the Hadleigh branch line to be extended to Lavenham, though these never came to fruition. The line was an important freight route during World War II and was guarded by numerous Type 22 pillboxes, most of which are still visible in the surrounding farmland. The station was closed to passengers on 10 April 1961 as part of the Beeching Axe, with a freight service surviving until April 1965. Today the disused line is used as a public footpath and is a designated nature reserve.

File information
Filename:664736.jpg
Album name:World & Travel
Rating (1 votes):55555
Keywords:#lavenham #village #suffolk #england #united #kingdom
Filesize:118 KiB
Date added:Jan 29, 2015
Dimensions:700 x 466 pixels
Displayed:48 times
URL:displayimage.php?pid=664736
Favorites:Add to Favorites